Gotrocks

Sun Jun 17 17:22:30 UTC 2007

On Jun 16, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Barry Popik wrote:

> Gotrox/Gotrocks shows up in every humor publication of the
> 1890s-1900s,  such
> as Puck, Life, Judge, Vanity Fair, Up-to-Date, the New York Herald,
> and the
> New York Journal.
> However, the earliest citations appear to come from the Indianapolis
> Journal, from about 1890.

thanks, Barry.  i hadn't thought to search on Gotrox.  and i'm not
really an archive-searching person.

> Of course, I have no access to the American Periodical Series
> Online here  in
> Texas--that would require some favor of the Gods. Life, Puck, and
> Judge are
> digitized there.
> (GOOGLE NEWS ARCHIVES)
> _LOCAL NEWS._
> (http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?
> res=FA0D11FC3F58137A93C4A8178AD95F418684F9)
> $4.95 - New York Times - Nov 16,  1865     Joxrr B. Gotrox lectured
> last at
> Cooper  Institute on temperance, Lefore a crowded house. Miss
> Ronncaort
> lectured  on temperance at Clinton Hall. ...

what's with this date?  the item itself is obviously mis-scanned
("Lefore" for "Before", "Joxrr" maybe for "John", and "Ronncaort"
looks very dubious).  is this a report of a lecture by a real person
named "Gotrox", or is that a scanning error too?

> 30 March 1890, Omaha Sunday World-Herald, pg.  9:
> Puck: Young Mrs. Gotrox...
> 27 December 1890, Knoxville (TN) Journal, pg. 6:
> I've made myself solid with Miss Gotrox.
> (...)
> --Indianapolis Journal.

i don't understand the form of these cites.  are these quotes in the
Indianapolis Journal from other newspapers, or what?  similarly for
some of the ones that follow.

arnold