Gotrocks

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 17 18:19:34 UTC 2007

In a message dated 6/17/2007 1:22:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU writes:

> 30  March 1890, Omaha Sunday World-Herald, pg.  9:
> Puck: Young Mrs.  Gotrox...
> 27 December 1890, Knoxville (TN)  Journal, pg. 6:
> I've made myself solid with Miss Gotrox.
>  (...)
> --Indianapolis Journal.

i don't understand  the form of these cites.  are these quotes in the
Indianapolis Journal  from other newspapers, or what?  similarly for
some of the ones that  follow.

arnold

Just the opposite. It's a quote FROM the Indianapolis Journal  APPEARING IN
other newspapers. (The other newspapers have been digitized, but  the
Indianapolis Journal hasn't been.)
Newspapers in the 19th century (before the Associated Press) copied  material
from other sources--especially jokes. Sometimes the source was  credited,
sometimes not. The date of the original material was seldom included;  some jokes
(such as Columbus discovering "A-Merry-Key") had newspaper lifespans  of over
50 years. These were placed at the bottoms of columns as filler, or in a
space on the editorial page.
The March 1890 Omaha Sunday World-Herald got its quip from Puck (NYC humor
magazine). The December 1890 Knoxville Journal got its quip from the
Indianapolis Journal.