Sacrificing factual fidelity for flow

Mon Jun 18 02:43:23 UTC 2007

Just a few minutes ago, the following came across the TV screen (or
something close to it):

The first synthesizer became commercially available in 1964.

My understanding of this is that the likely interpretation is that "the
first commercially available synthesizer debuted in 1964", but that the
meaning has been sacrificed to make the flow better or else because the
writer was not able to come up with the verb "debut" which better
handles the content.

I see this a lot when translating from Japanese, which seems to require
a much higher fidelity to the facts than English. When I am really into
my translation, I find I sometimes notice items like this and sacrifice
factual content to improve the quality of my English product.
(Adjectives is another such item where I wrestle with sacrificing
meaning versus the requirement of adjective order.)

Is there a word for such sentences and/or is there any research on this
sort of phenomenon in English?

Benjamin Barrett
a cyberbreath for language life
livinglanguages.wordpress.com