For words ending in "-ity" is it ~t or ~d

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 19 01:58:32 UTC 2007

Thanks Paul,

Dictionaries say "singer" is different than "finger" regarding "ng".  That's
not a big enough deal to really be necessarily another phoneme.  The big
problem here is misrepresentation of the stressed vowel as short i.
Nowadays, it's a long e ~ee as can clearly be heard on m-w.com.  Don't you
get m-w.com?

See truespel.com - and the 4  truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at
authorhouse.com.

>From: Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: For words ending in "-ity" is it ~t or ~d
>Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:59:14 -0400

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: For words ending in "-ity" is it ~t or ~d
>
>Allophones of /n/ and /g/?  Eng has never been, even historically, an
>allophone of /g/ in English--in Classical Greek, yes, but not
>English.  It was once an allophone of /n/, appearing before velars,
>and still is in parts of the English West Midlands, where it never
>occurs without a /g/ or /k/ after it.  In America, except for certain
>"Longg Islanders"--and even they don't say /sINgz/ for "sings"--it's
>a phoneme:  cf. thin/thing, sin/sing contrasts.  I'm sure m-w.com
>agrees.
>
>Paul Johnston
>On Jun 18, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: For words ending in "-ity" is it ~t or ~d
> > ---------
> >
> > Thanks James,
> >
> > I agree with what you say.  Citation speech versus normal speech-
> > which is
> > best to represent in a dictionary?  Funny thing is that m-w.com
> > while going
> > the great extra step in providing voice files of every word (again a
> > marvelous resource) illustrates the problem.
> >
> > In my dictionary, which is the VOA dictionary plus truespel for
> > pronunciation, I show both.
> >
> > Truespel is just a simple notation.  If it sounds like a "k" it
> > goes in the
> > k-bin.  I even treat "ng" as being not a separate phoneme, but
> > allophones of
> > "n" and "g".
> >
> > Truespel notation is OK for dictionaries, but even at this level I
> > find
> > pronunciation may have changed and current notation not kept up in
> > current
> > dictionaries.  Perhaps current dictionaries want to merely keep
> > citation
> > spelling and not bother with new updates.  Consistency regardless of
> > reality?
> >
> > Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL5+
> > See truespel.com - and the 4  truespel books plus "Occasional
> > Poems" at
> > authorhouse.com.
> >

> >> From: James Harbeck <jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA>
> >> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> >> Subject: Re: For words ending in "-ity" is it ~t or ~d
> >> Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:00:07 -0400

> >> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >> Poster:       James Harbeck <jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA>
> >> Subject:      Re: For words ending in "-ity" is it ~t or ~d
> [...]

Who's that on the Red Carpet? Play & win glamorous prizes.
http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=REDCARPET_hotmailtextlink3