eighty-six or 86

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 19 19:28:25 UTC 2007

HDAS offers more time-wasting facts about "eighty-six" than any other humanly accessible print source.

  As an unwanted customer: 1943.

  Kustomary kudos to Barry for finding possiby the earliest date of all; it falls within the known spread of 1926-35 for HDAS's primary ex. -  a dubious one, to be sure.

  JL
  Darla Wells <dlw3208 at LOUISIANA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Darla Wells
Subject: Re: eighty-six or 86

Sorry. That would have been in the early 1980's in Southern California and
much of the Midwest. I have heard it as recently as the mid-90's in context
and since then from people who were in and out of the business and were just
catching me up on the news. Most of them are dead now; carnies don't have
really long lifespans.
Darla

With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince. With science, you can turn a
frog into a Ph.D and you still have the frog you started with. (Terry Pratchett)