Internal toppings

Wed Jun 20 04:04:45 UTC 2007

Laurence Horn wrote:
> At 8:40 PM -0700 6/19/07, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>
>> Pizza Hut has a commercial right now for their "P'Zone Pizza"
>> (http://www.pizzahut.com/Menu.aspx), their version of calzone.
>>
>> They advertise it with "toppings", interesting since they are inside the
>> pizza instead of on top. Innards probably wouldn't be a good substitute
>> for toppings, but "innings" seems like it would. BB
>>

> Why not "fillings", as with calzones proper?  I suppose "toppings",
> even unmoored from the original topographic reference, preserves its
> identity as a pizza...

I wonder if people ask for toppings or fillings when ordering calzone. I
wonder if any of the chains (Sbarro?) has employees ask "What would you
like for toppings/fillings?"

BTW, I hear kal zoh neh as well as kal zohn, but the latter seems to be
clearly winning out in the pronunciation of this dish in Seattle. BB