Back to Attila

Joseph Salmons jsalmons at WISC.EDU
Wed Jun 20 14:49:50 UTC 2007

The Ostrogoths had even more intense contact with the Huns than the
Visigoths, and I don't recall offhand whether this name is connected
particularly to Ostrogothic sources. But atta was a common word for
'father' in Gothic, see atta unsar 'our father' in the Bible
translations done by Ulfila/Wulfila, a Visigoth, who authored almost
all the actual Gothic material we have. (The form fadar is famously
attested once there as well.)

The word is found across Germanic and people have often suggested
that it started as child language. Cognates show up as the usual word
for 'father' today in some North Frisian dialects, for example.
Sources like Lehmann's Gothic Etymological Dictionary give a set of
Indo-European cognates.

And -ila is a common diminutive/hypocoristic suffix with names
(including the just-mentioned bishop/translator, connected to 'wolf')
and beyond (like barnilo, 'little kid').

Joe
who's somewhat surprised that discussion has turned to an area he
knows a little about