How they say German

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Wed Jun 20 22:28:57 UTC 2007

Colleagues,

"Po niemiecku" does not mean "German" (neither
the people nor the nationality) in Polish; it is
an adverbial which means (roughly) "Germanly" or
"in the German manner" and means to speak German.
The so-called phonetics, or whatever bullshit
truespel is, is laughably off since the glide
onsets to the first two vocalic segments of
"niemiecku" (which are the same except for
stress) are not indicated, and, even sillier,
they are shown as segmentally different, but they
are not.

The phonetics are, of course, roughly (a kind
word actually; they are simply incorrect)
phonemic, not phonetic at all.

Who is Tom Zurinskas and what is this crap? I've
been off the list for a while plying my trade in
the old Country.

dInIs

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor