Whole Nine Yards update(1964)? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Jun 21 17:20:50 UTC 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Nothing obvious showed up.  "Brain bucket" (for crash helment) and
"ballute" (combination parachute/balloon) don't show up in the OED, but
I was able to find cites for both before this article.

> And, just as an added bonus, this article may contain other
> antedating of terms.  But I have things to do.  I'll leave it
> to the professionals.
>

> Tucson(AZ) Daily Citizen, 25 April 1964, page 25, a story about NASA.
>
> "Give 'em the whole nine yards" means an item-by-item report
> on any project.

"Jet-Stream of Talk" Norman H. Brown
New York Times (1857-Current file); Mar 7, 1954; pg. SM20

"Auger in: to crash"  [OED doesn't have "auger" as a verb at all.]

"Brain bucket:  crash helmet"
"Blow Torch: any jet plane"
"Bingo:  Down to mimimum fuel supply"  [this sense not in OED]

CAPSULE RETURNED FROM 32 MILES UP
New York Times (1857-Current file); Nov 22, 1960; pg. 14
"The new system, named Ballute, was developed by Goodyear Aircraft
Corporation for the Air Research and Development Command."