"Don't call us, we'll call you" (1949)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 22 03:02:49 UTC 2007

I use both the NewspaperArchive search engine and the Google News Archives
search engine, and they both suck. I divided the phrase into two parts ("Don't
call us"/"we'll call you") and added "Broadway" (hoping to get an
entertainment  column such as Winchell's). The addition of "Broadway" got a better
result!
27 January 1949, Brownsville (TX) Herald, pg. 12, col. 2:
_In Hollywood_
_International Star Brisson_
_Has Interesting Life Story_
by Erskine Johnson
(...)
Carl Brisson was one of the first movie stars I ever met.
(...)
He made the rounds of the studios. Yes, producers and directors remembered
his big hit on the screen in 1934, but well, "come around some other day but
don't call us, we'll call you."