Bouey knife (Bowie knife) (Jan. 25, 1836)

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Sat Jun 23 14:00:50 UTC 2007

From:    Bapopik at AOL.COM

> The Dominican mother-in-law is in town, and we took her to the Alamo. She
> still doesn't know what it's about or what it's called.

> In the gift shop was an exhibit on the Bowie knife. I forget the  citation,
> but an early one was for "Bouey" knife. I would never have  thought to look
> for this spelling (and can't find it on the web).This is before  the death of
> Jim Bowie at the Alamo, March 6, 1836.

Well, my father has discovered that one of the more common spellings of
the family name for both Jim Bowie and me[1] back in Scotland was
"Buidhe". I somehow doubt you'll find Bowie knives advertised with
*that* one, though.:)

<snip>

[1] A pair of brothers named Bowie came from Scotland to the US a couple
centuries ago; Jim Bowie is descended from one of them, i'm descended
from the other.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida