Antedatings in The Yale Book of Quotations - 31: Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sun Jun 24 14:09:52 UTC 2007

Quoting Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>:
> Here's earlier:
>
> 1867 _Times_ (London) 4 May 9 (Times Digital Archive)  Burke ... is
> impatient to tread the scaffold on which he will deliver the last
> self-fulfilling prophecy.
>
> Fred Shapiro

earlier:
1854
The Southern Literary Messenger; Devoted to Every Department of
Literature, and
the Fine Arts (1848-1864). Richmond: Sep 1854. Vol. 20, Iss. 9; p. 513 (? page
10 of 16) Proquest

"But we dislike to acknowledge our own errors, and are too prone to the hasty
sad genereralization, and mournful self-fulfilling prophecy, that depreciation
and final degredation are the inevitable laws of social and national existence
as death is of man's mortal career."

Google books gives some early uses of self-fulfilling prediction (1846), hope
(1833), end, future, law of grace (1859).

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson