Bouey knife (Bowie knife) (Jan. 25, 1836)

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Mon Jun 25 02:22:41 UTC 2007

From:    Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>

> "Buidhe" indicates that the vowel is [u]. But where does the English
> spelling, "Bowie," which has plausibly led to the spelling
> pronunciation with [o], come from?

FWIW, *my* family pronounces "Bowie" as [bu.i], not [bo.i] (or the one
that i'm getting more and more commonly from telemarketers, [bau.i]).
I've had a few students wonder if there was a Great Vowel Shift o>u
thing involved; i doubt it, but i haven't bothered to look into it
enough to disprove it.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida