Whole Nine Yards update--same story, earlier date +info

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Wed Jun 27 11:14:05 UTC 2007

Thanks, Sam and Bonnie, for your very interesting finds. Two small notes:

1. According to Time magazine Sept 27, 1963
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,875178,00.html?promoid=googlep
World Book Encyclopedia Science Service (and Chicago Sun-Times etc.)
was part of an exclusive four year contract to report on astronauts' "personal
stories."

2. Google Books gave a snippet, then no text at all, of a 1992 book, perhaps too
late to bother mentioning, but in case I'm wrong: NASA Engineers and
the Age of Apollo By Sylvia Doughty Fries p.114 quotes from a then-recent
interview with Richard Williams, an engineer hired in 1966 at the Manned
Spacecraft Center. After the 1970 Apollo 13 oxygen tank explosion he recounted:
"This simulator at KSC [Kennedy Space Center] was in the configuration that the
mission was in. It simulated the whole nine yards...."

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson