vaca

Fri Jun 29 17:26:34 UTC 2007

On 6/29/07, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:

> At 12:27 PM -0400 6/29/07, Charles Doyle wrote:
> >Last night on The Daily Show, Claire Danes remarked that she had
> >been enjoying a "vaca" [veke] in Hawaii.  I had never heard that
> >clipping, and it's not recorded in UrbanDictionary.com.  Among lots
> >of Spanish cows, Google yields a limited humber of tokens (search
> >the phrase "vaca in Hawaii" (or some other popular destination).
>
> I heard that too.  I think you want to check under "vacay", which not
> only eliminates those Spanish cows but brings in the
> UrbanDictionary.com entry and 141,000 other hits.  (Or thereabouts.)

Goes back to 1992 on Usenet.

-----
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.makers/msg/087e292bf0b2d5c5
"More On Getting Gigs," rec.music.makers, Jan 14 1992
I spoke to one manager about three weeks ago, and he said he was
going on vacay and would give me something after he gets back.
-----

--Ben Zimmer