vaca

Fri Jun 29 17:33:31 UTC 2007

On 6/29/07, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> On 6/29/07, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> >
> > At 12:27 PM -0400 6/29/07, Charles Doyle wrote:
> > >Last night on The Daily Show, Claire Danes remarked that she had
> > >been enjoying a "vaca" [veke] in Hawaii.  I had never heard that
> > >clipping, and it's not recorded in UrbanDictionary.com.  Among lots
> > >of Spanish cows, Google yields a limited humber of tokens (search
> > >the phrase "vaca in Hawaii" (or some other popular destination).
> >
> > I heard that too.  I think you want to check under "vacay", which not
> > only eliminates those Spanish cows but brings in the
> > UrbanDictionary.com entry and 141,000 other hits.  (Or thereabouts.)
>
> Goes back to 1992 on Usenet.
>
> -----
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.makers/msg/087e292bf0b2d5c5
> "More On Getting Gigs," rec.music.makers, Jan 14 1992
> I spoke to one manager about three weeks ago, and he said he was
> going on vacay and would give me something after he gets back.
> -----

Even earlier with the "vaca" spelling:

-----
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.wizards/msg/b3be160019f1b608
"Are the wizards on vaca ? (was: SCO UNIX SysV device driver)",
comp.unix.wizards, Jun 15, 1990
-----
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos/msg/a6b7376cc1a0bf6f?
"FIAT spiders..", rec.autos, Apr 19, 1991
Also.. I was recently on Vaca in Utah (skiing..) and happened
to notice a lot (~20) of Fiat spiders in the week I was there.
-----
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.cyberpunk/msg/6b2f357fb3933214
"Looking for Books.", alt.cyberpunk, Oct 9, 1991
I'm going on vaca Friday and would like to get a couple books to read
on the plane.
-----

--Ben Zimmer