To Suicide and Marriage v. CU

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 1 16:23:03 UTC 2007

Benjamin Barrett wrote:
> I don't think I've ever heard "suicide" as a verb outside of
> Asian-Americans in Seattle, until today. Vincent D'Onofrio says "he
> suicides" in the episode "Badge" of _Law & Order: CI_, Season 1 Episode
> E2124.

I first noticed this usage in the early 70s. A bunkmate of mine when I
was on a kibbutz wrote me, in a fit of adolescent angst, something to
the effect of "if I ever decided life was meaningless, I would suicide".
She was white, middle class, from the Detroit area, if I remember
correctly. I noticed the usage because it was so bizarre and unique.

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963