ancestor = "descendant"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Mar 2 13:25:09 UTC 2007

Jonathan's "shocked" in the sense of (positive or neutral) "surprised" reminded me of the old anecdote related to a word battle no longer fought--about an adulterous pedant (variously Samuel Johnson, Noah Webster, or a generic "English professor") whose wife apprehends him in bed with the maid (secretary, grad student). She exclaims, "I am surprised!" He retorts, "No, my dear, I am surprised; you are astonished."

--Charlie