It boggles the mind

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 2 16:15:58 UTC 2007

At 11:26 PM -0500 3/1/07, Seán Fitzpatrick wrote:
>Sighting a new inversion:  This morning on NPR a reporter reported that
>after some unusual event, people “were in store for” some more of the same.

I hadn't thought about it and hate to admit it,
but actually raising or inversion or whatever
with "in store for" (i.e. with the
dative/experiencer as subject) doesn't sound
particularly unnatural to me.  Or for
others--there are, for example, 293 g-hits for
"they're in store for", 92 for "he's in store
for", 55 for she's in store for X", and
presumably hefty additional totals for
non-contracted and non-pronominal examples.

Steve K., another candidate for an AHD usage note?

LH