put in = recommend

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 3 01:21:34 UTC 2007

Meaning "Esp. _Mil._, to recommend (someone) officially for an award," virtually standard American English from WWII on, but not in OED:

  1967 in Bill Frey _Letters from 'Nam_ (N.Y.: Warner Books, 1992) 22: I went out under heavy fire last night to bring in that wounded G.I. and I've been put in for a Bronze Star.

  WWII related cites are myriad, but I don't believe I've seen one antedating 1942.

  JL

Finding fabulous fares is fun.