to "spit-shine"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 5 15:27:27 UTC 2007

The observation that jump boots hold a shine better than others squares with my feeling - which I haven't mentioned for fear of looking ludicrous - that modern military "spit-shining," as an institution, was originally associated stereotypically with airborne units, perhaps towards the end of World War II, though I don't believe it shows up in literature for another decade or so.

  JL

Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Dave Wilton
Subject: Re: to "spit-shine"

A couple of updates to bring the technique up to the 1980s, at least.

First, spit shines had become a very common thing in the Army by the
mid-to-late 80s. It was expected, albeit not required, that you would have
spit-shined boots while in garrison--at least among the career enlisted and
the officers. A good way to tell a soldier who was likely to reenlist was
whether or not his boots were spit-shined. In fact, Cocoran jump boots, were
commonly worn in garrison, even by "legs" (non-paratroopers), because they
took and held a shine better than ordinary boots.

As for technique, I was taught not to actually use saliva. Instead, clean
water was used instead. This was easier as you didn't have to constantly
come up with a mouthful of spit and it was said to give a better shine than
spit. (I never attempted to do an entire boot with spit; what
experimentation I did indicated that plain water was just as good, easier,
and less disgusting.)

And once your boots were spit-shined, it was relatively easy to maintain the
shine. 10 minutes a day was sufficient to keep a spit shine on a pair of
boots, provided they didn't get too muddy or scuffed during the day.