to "spit-shine"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 6 21:45:09 UTC 2007

I agree, Jon. The shine itself is the thing, not the manner in which
the shine is brought about.  I can't recall when or how it was that I
learned to use water,  but it was certainly no later than 1960. (The
use of fingertips instead of cotton or cloth was my own idea, though
others may independently have come up with the same method, before or
sense. Uh,  I mean, "since," of course. ;-))

-Wilson

On 3/6/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: to "spit-shine"
>
> By the time Amy learned it, the prescription for a "spit shine" no longer involved spit.  That supports the notion that _brilliance_ is now the defining characteristic of a (so-called) "spit shine."
>
>   JL
>
> Amy West <medievalist at W-STS.COM> wrote:

-----
                                                      -Sam'l Clemens

Dope wil get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no dope.
-----
                                         -Free-Wheeling Franklin