Shrimp Scampi (1953)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 7 07:23:57 UTC 2007

Wednesday's NY Times food section
(_http://www.nytimes.com/pages/dining/index.html_ (http://www.nytimes.com/pages/dining/index.html) )  is another Popik
killer.
Take the title of the lead food story: "The Big Apple May Never Be Known as
the Big Sparerib, but It's Smokin'." A photo caption reads: "Take that,
Texas."
There's also a Florence Fabricant item about the name of a small hot dog
stand in NYC. (The origin of the name "hot dog," when sent to Ms. Fabricant, was
of no interest.)
But the "shrimp scampi" article was interesting. I'd traced "scampo" and
"scampi" to the 1880s and 1890s, but "shrimp scampi" seems to start showing up
in 1953. Will there be "shrimp scampi" served in the revised  OED?
_http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/07/dining/07appe.html?ref=dining_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/07/dining/07appe.html?ref=dining)
Shrimp Scampi, a Classic Open to Interpretation

By MELISSA CLARK
Published: March 7, 2007

SHRIMP scampi is a dish so entrenched in the Italian-American vernacular that
 until the day I decided to make it, I did not realize that I didn’t know
what it  was.

17 May 1953, Ada (OK) <i>Evening News</i>, pg. 11:
_Shrimp Scampi Treat For Gourmet's Taste_
By EDITH M. BARBER
Shrimp Scampi is a specialty in many Italian restaurants. Directions for  the
preparation of this dish will not be found in any cookbook, even one devoted
entirely to shrimp cookery.
Consultation with owners and chefs of Italian restaurants informs me that
the term "Scampi" is applied to the finest of Italian Shrimp. While recipes in
various restaurants vary to some extent, Shrimp Scampi are generally prepared
by  broiling in plenty of butter. A clove of garlic and lemon juice as well as
salt  and pepper are used for the seasoning.
There is always argument as to whether it is easier to shell shrimp before
or after cooking. Most of the evidence is in favor of the first method and
this,  of course, is necessary when they are to be broiled.
(...)
SHRIMP SCAMPI
1 pound shrimp, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced fine
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Remove shell from shrimp. leaving tail shell on. Cut down back of shrimp  and
remove vein. Melt butter or margarine in a saucepan. Add remaining
ingredients. Toss shrimp in butter or margarine until shrimp are well coated.  Place on
broiler pan and broil three inches from heat about five minutes. Broil
halved, seasoned tomatoes in same pan with shrimp. Yield: two to three  servings.
http://www.aol.com.