the n word: on its way out?

Seán Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Fri Mar 9 15:55:17 UTC 2007

I doubt that you can lay “nigger” on the solecism/dialect of Southern
economically challenged persons of pallor, nor its offensiveness to
stereotyping by their more melaninic class-mates.  Nigger was common in
British speech and is attested at least to the late 18C.  Furthermore, there
are cognates in Continental languages derived from Fr. neger and Latinate
“negro” (from  neger, negra, negrum).  I encountered the Dutch cognate on my
Wanderjahr back in 1969.  I stayed for a while with family friends near
Delft (a suburb of ‘s-Gravenhage).  Jan took me to see his office, which was
on a short, narrow lane.  Jan, who spoke fluent English and had lived in
America, told me that in the old days it had been a slave market and was
called “Nickersteeg” <’nik ker “shtaygk>.  With some relish—looking for my
American reaction--he translated it, in case I had missed it, as “Nigger
Alley”.  You can find it on Google maps, between Oude Delft and Koornmarkt
streets.

“Nigra” is a fairly good phonetic spelling of a variant Southern
pronunciation of negro, and is actually a better fit for your speculations
about “nigger”.  I have encountered it widely in speech, writing, and
cinema.  It is a natural pronunciation and probably further recommended
itself by sounding like nigger but being different enough for polite
conversation.  AHD goes farther:  Nigra (1944), on the other hand, reflects
a pronunciation in certain circles of Negro, but meant to suggest nigger,
and is thus deemed (according to a 1960 slang dictionary) "even more derog.
than 'nigger.'”.

Seán Fitzpatrick

It’s a Gnostic thing. You wouldn't understand.

http://www.logomachon.blogspot.com/