'cop' senses not in OED

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Sat Mar 10 16:08:07 UTC 2007

Was looking for various senses/uses of 'to cop' in the OED, and although
there are 2004 additions on the on-line version, I didn't find the meanings
I was looking for.  They seem to be American English--though that shouldn't
keep the OED from covering them:

to cop a plea  [= to admit guilt in order to get a reduced sentence]

to cop to NP  [= to admit to NP]

Examples of the latter:
www.proteinwisdom.com/index.php/weblog/entry/20616/ -
So, our favorite brain-dead troll demands anonymity so complete it won’t
cop to a gender,

www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=265570
I would readily cop to a kill all the bad guys mentality,

forums-beta.sportingnews.com/topic.php?p=1730646
I have to cop to a portion of that reasoning myself

Just in case the OED editors are watching.  (Feel free to suggest I send
such comments to a more specific e-mail address--I don't have one at the
moment.)

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer and Head of Department