[Fwd: Slumgully anyone?]

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Wed Mar 14 00:51:34 UTC 2007

Barbara Need wrote of slumgully.

There's a reference to slumgully in Alexei Panshin's 1968 SF novel
_The Thurb Revolution_. Context: a retainer of the imperial family is
paying a call on a mid-level bureaucrat, who invites him to dine.

"'This is excellent Gallimaufry au Baboulis.'
 'It's nothing but slumgully, really,' Ajamian said. Tuesday fare, by his
standards; good, but commonplace.
 'It is as I have always suspected,' Sir Thomas said. 'Food is best in its
own home - and least appreciated there.'"

I'm not sure where Panshin is from, but he seems to delight in obscure
words.

Jim Parish