Panuchos

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 15 05:14:27 UTC 2007

President Bush ate some panuchos on his visit to Mexico. "Panuchos" are not
in the revised OED (miserable on world food), but they should be now.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/panuchos/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/panuchos/)
Panuchos

Panuchos (corn tortillas with beans and meat) are more Mexican (Yucatan) than
 Tex-Mex, but they’re slowing arriving the in the United States. President
George  Bush ate panuchos in a March 2007 visit to Mexico.

_South  Bay Tex-Mex? (Chowhound.com)_
(http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:UZmevPUdOVMJ:www.chowhound.com/topics/40925+panuchos&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=18&gl=us&i
e=UTF-8)
Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant on Geary serves  panuchos on Monday night.

It may be on the specials insert or may not be  on the menu at all, I don’t
remember. But many regular customers come specificly  for that dish - my
husband is one of them. Sometimes he just start chanting  “Panuchos, Panuchos,
Panuchos” and I know where we’ll be soon.

I haven’t  had them at the source (in the Yucatan) but that’s where the
Bermejo family is  from so I suspect they bear some resemblance to the original.
Pssst Nov 02,  2005 07:34PM

re: Pssst
Thank you for the recommendation of  Tommy’s! The reviews on the Web are
spotty, and it’s a *long* way from where I  live, especially for a work night
(Mondays only for panuchos ), but it would be  worth it if I’m up in the city for
some other event.

The panuchos I  remember so fondly from Azul y Oro in Merida were two round
tostada chips  pinched together all around the edge and stuffed with black
beans (kind of a  Mexican version of round ravioli), topped with a slice of ripe
tomato, a few  rings of sweet marinated red onion, and some chicken breast that
was moist and  flavorful. It was absolutely divine, as evidenced by the fact
that I ate them 30  years ago and the memory is still fresh for me.

Regards,
Dan
Dan  Henderson Nov 03, 2005 02:18PM

_New  York Times_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/15/world/americas/15notebook.html?pagewanted=2&ref=washington)
Published: March 15, 2007
But in Mexico, Mr. Bush seems  to have finally had his fill. Tony Snow, the
White House press secretary, opened  the one full-fledged news briefing he gave
during the entire trip by explaining  Mr. Bush’s lunch menu on Tuesday: “
Three panuchos: These are corn tortillas  filled with refried beans — actually,
sort of layered, not ‘filled,’ your flat,  round tortillas, not great, big
tortillas — with pork, turkey and roast  chicken.”

_Wikipedia: Mérida,  Yucatán_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mérida,_Yucatán)
Yucatecan food is its own unique style, different from the rest  of Mexico in
many ways. It includes influences from the local Mayan culture, and
Caribbean, Mexican and European, and Middle Eastern cultures.

There are  many regional dishes. Some of them are:
(...)
Salbutes and Panuchos.  Salbutes are soft, cooked tortillas with lettuce,
tomato, turkey and avocado on  top while panuchos are pretty much the same, with
the difference mainly in the  crunchy tortilla with a spread of refried beans
inside the tortilla. Habanero  peppers accompany most dishes, either in solid
or purée form, along with fresh  limes and corn tortillas.

_Google  Groups: rec.travel_
(http://groups.google.com/group/rec.travel/browse_thread/thread/ac442af546d6d597/1564fd7ca1b8042e?lnk=st&q=panuchos&rnum=70&hl=
en#1564fd7ca1b8042e)