"A cowboy is a man with guts and a horse" (1929); Hot Dog Council & "Hot Dog"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 15 20:06:58 UTC 2007

HOT DOG--Many years ago, I sent information on "hot dog" to the National  Hot
Dog and Sausage Council. They told the false "Tad Dorgan" story in 1995,
1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2000. They couldn't tell it anymore because World
Wide Words and Snopes and Word Origins and Smithsonian and David Graulich's book
 and others had the true story. In 2001, I got credit and, of course, my name
was  misspelled on its website.
Well, I know that the good Council sends out its info every May  (Memorial
Day) and July (National Hot Dog Month). I e-mailed two National Hot  Dog and
Sausage Council people my new 1893 and 1897 citations for "hot dog."
No response.
Hey! I'm giving this to you for free! I'm not even getting paid, because  God
forbid if I get paid, that would ruin everything! A courtesy response is
FREE! Thank you! It's goddamn FREE!
A COWBOY IS A MAN WITH GUTS AND A HORSE
This is not in the Yale Book of Quotations. It's also believed to be from
cowboy author and artist Will James. Naturally, on the web, that becomes
philosopher William James!
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/a_cowboy_is_a_man_with_guts_a
nd_a_horse/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/a_cowboy_is_a_man_with_guts_and_a_horse/)

“A cowboy is a man with guts and a horse”

"A cowboy is a man with guts and a horse” is usually credited to Will James
(1892-1942), a cowboy artist and author. (Will James is not to be confused
with  the philosopher William James.) Will James wrote many articles and books in
the  1920s and 1930s, and this “guts and a horse” quote is documented from
at least  1929.

_Cowboy  Sayings and Quotes_ (http://www.coolnsmart.com/cowboy_sayings/)
A cowboy is a man with guts and a horse.

_Topics  in Kansas History: Old West_
(http://www.kshs.org/research/topics/oldwest/essay.htm)
Cowboys
Each spring from 1866 -  1885, Texas longhorns were driven to railheads in
Kansas or farther north to  stock the open ranges. It took about a dozen cowboys
to trail 2,000 head of  cattle. Herd size ranged from around 1,000 head in
the early years to 3,000 -  4,000 later on. For their labors, cowboys earned
between $25 and $40 a month,  plus their food.

Most cowboys were young men, in their late teens or  early twenties, and
single. One 19th-century definition of a “cowboy” was  “anybody with guts and a
horse.” They needed to be strong to survive the harsh  conditions of trail
life.

_Horsey Quotes_ (http://www.shannonleighstables.com/HORSEY-QUOTES)
A  cowboy is a man with guts and a horse.
~Will James

_ThinkExist.com_
(http://thinkexist.com/quotation/a_cowboy_is_a_man_with_guts_and_a_horse/345956.html)
“A cowboy is a man with guts and a horse.”
William James quotes  (American Philosopher and Psychologist, leader of the
philosophical movement of  Pragmatism, 1842-1910)

_Wikipedia: Will James  (artist)_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_James_(artist))
Will James (1892-1942), artist and writer, was born  Joseph Ernest Nephtali
Dufault, June 6, 1892 in Quebec province, Canada. It was  during his creative
years everyone grew to know him as Will James.

_Will James: Cowboy Artist and  Author_
(http://www.tfaoi.com/newsmu/nmus2b.htm)
A special exhibition at the Autry Museum of Western Heritage  explores the
tragic and fascinating life of artist and author Will James. On  view in the
Showcase Gallery from Oct. 3, 1997, through Jan. 4, 1998, Will  James: Cowboy
Artist and Author provides a rare opportunity for visitors to  appreciate the
artistic skills of the author of such American classics as Smoky  and
Lone Cowboy.

James’ work, which includes 25 beloved novels,  continues to appeal to a
large audience who grew up reading his books and to new  generations of horse
fanciers and cowboy fans. This intimate
presentation  draws on an unmatched collection of approximately 75 paintings
and drawings  featuring the private collection of A.P. Hays, Paradise Valley,
Arizona, as well  as first edition books, numerous early drawings and a newly
acquired oil  painting from the museum’s collection.

James’ literary career began in  the early 1920s, when the lanky cowboy from
Nevada sent an essay and  illustrations to Scribner’s New York offices. The
easy-going, storytelling  quality of his
writing, illustrated with his own drawings and paintings,  made for a winning
combination that was quickly recognized by editor Maxwell  Evarts Perkins,
who worked with Thomas Wolfe, Emest
Hemingway and other  literary giants. James’ first novel, Smoky, won the
Newbery Medal in 1927 as the  most significant contribution in American literature
that year for children,  establishing his
place as an enduring writer of note. All 25 of his books  are still in print.

Born in Canada as Ernest Dufaut, James left home to  be a cowboy. Along with
a new name, he manufactured a new identity, claiming  different parents and
birth in Montana. Despite acclaim
and success in the  literary world, his life was tragic. A brief prison term
for rustling, a  tumultuous marriage and devotion to drink contributed to his
untimely death in  1942 at age 50.

27 January 1929, Helena (MT) Daily  Independent, “On the Trail of the Rodeo,”
 magazine section:
Any student  of the ranges can tell you, right off, the basic qualifications.
Ask any one of  them what constitutes a cowboy. He’ll say, “A cowboy is a
man with guts and a  horse.” That’s the only entrance requirement you’ll have
to meet.

_Google  Books_
(http://books.google.com/books?ie=ISO-8859-1&id=0DwIAAAAIAAJ&vid=OCLC00484432&dq=cowboy+"guts+and+a+horse"&q="guts+and+a+horse"&pgis=1)
Wyoming: a guide to its history, highways, and people
by Writers’ Program of the Works Progress Administration
Oxford  University Press
1941
Pg. 130:
In his own language, the cowboy was a  “man with guts and a horse.”