Southern Appalachian English web site

Sun Mar 18 01:33:10 UTC 2007

I'm forwarding an announcement from Michael Montgomery.

Dear All,

This is to announce the launching of a revised version of my website
on the English language spoken in Appalachia, which has been created
through the gracious assistance of my home department (English) at
the University of South Carolina. At <http://www.cas.sc.edu/engl/
dictionary/> you will find a range of resources for experiencing and
exploring the speech of the mountains from West Virginia to Alabama.

Whether you are a college teacher looking for material to develop a
unit on Appalachian speech, a researcher in another field wanting to
learn more about the subject, or just someone who likes to have the
ears bathed in traditional speech from time to time, you will find
plenty of interest here.

This site includes a half-dozen papers I have written for a lay
readership and more than twenty audio segments from the Smoky
Mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina that were recorded by my
late colleague Joseph Sargent Hall in 1939. Each recording has an
accompanying transcripts with many terms that are highlighted and
lead to dictionary entries with pertinent historical information and
further quotations. A comprehensive annotated bibliography of more
than 600 items offers nearly endless opportunities for continuing
study of the history, vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, naming
patterns and practices, use in literature, attitudes and perceptions,
and other facets of the region's English.

I would be proud for you to spend some time with this site and to
pass this announcement along to anyone else who might have an
interest in it. And of course I encourage suggestions for additions
and improvements at any time (yes, I know that some of the links
don't work at the moment).

With best regards,

Michael Montgomery
Professor of English