conspire = "contrive"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Mar 19 11:58:43 UTC 2007

In 1670 William Penn and William Mede were being criminally tried for unlawful speaking and assembly in front of a London meeting house, which had been closed by the crown. In one of the many returns, Penn was found guilty of conspiracy but Mead not-guilty. Said Penn, "[I]t consequently follows, that I am clear since you have indicted us of a Conspiracy, and I could not possibly conspire alone" (_The Peoples Antient and Just Liberties Asserted_ [1670], 19).

--Charlie