abate = "to increase"

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Mon Mar 19 19:27:56 UTC 2007

>At 3/18/2007 09:05 PM, you wrote:
>>Tell me I'm wrong about this:
>>
>>   2007 _Yahoo/ AP News_ (Mar. 18) [
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070318/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq ]: BAGHDAD
>> - Sunni insurgents, resilient despite the five-week security
>> crackdown in the capital, killed at least six more U.S. troops over
>> the weekend. A Sunni car bomber hit a largely Shiite district in
>> the capital Sunday, killing at least eight people....Across Iraq,
>> at least 20 people died Sunday, a sign that violence continued to
>> abate as U.S. and Iraqi forces press ahead with what many view as a
>> last-chance bid to quell the sectarian violence in Baghdad and
>> central regions of the country.
>
>Cringing, I can only suggest that perhaps someone changed this from
>"across Iraq, only 20 people died Sunday" (less than the average per
>day of the past several months, I believe), thinking it was not
>certain that no more had.  But still, "a sign that violence continued
>to abate" that only the present administration could take heart from.
>
>Joel
 ~~~~~~~~~
Or, if you have absolutely no compunction about lying, which leaders in
wartime have exhibited in practically any war you could name,  it could be
intentionally misleading.  The all-too-compliant press  will go on echoing
the official announcements without parsing or any attempt to match words
with evidence.
1984 forever.
AM