"beauty bark" and "bark dust"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Mar 20 12:43:13 UTC 2007

Living in Georgia for the past 30+ years (where, incidentally, pine bark is plentiful), I have never heard the term "beauty bark," but it seems pretty transparent to me--'bark chips used as ornamental ground covering'.

"Bark dust" isn't transparent at all--especially if it's somewhat synonymous with "beauty bark." In fact, I've never heard of any kind of DUST being used for ornamental ground cover; seems like it would interfere with the aeration of the soil.

--Charlie

From:         Benjamin Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Put lipstick on a pig (again) and cherry up

Being a Washingtonian, I'm surprised to hear that. I've known the word "beauty bark" since I was a young child, probably 35 years ago. I've always assumed it to be a product name, but it seems pretty generic from Googits.

Your description of bark dust is identical to what I think of as beauty bark. BB