'fountain drink with mixed flavors'

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Mar 20 18:15:22 UTC 2007

When I was a Texas teenager, adventurous habitues of the soda-fountain would sometimes order a drink make from a squirt of each available syrup, the glass then filled with carbonated water. The local term for the resulting beverage was SHIPWRECK.

Recently I discovered that some Georgians, a whole generation younger, have other terms for such a miscellaneous concoction, like TORNADO and SUICIDE.

Do still other terms exist? Regionally distributed, or in some other pattern?  Of course, the soda fountain itself may be an almost extinct phenomenon, but I've seen young people go down the self-serve repertory of drink spouts at fast-food restaurants, mixing.

--Charlie