Safire: "... You cannot say 'more *woman*'; ..."

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Mar 21 14:22:55 UTC 2007

I'm missing the point, too. "More man", "more woman" both seem fine,
parallel colloquialisms to me. What is Safire's problem with it? You
could use the same construction with any animate noun couldn't you?

"The stallion is more horse than the young rider can handle." Doesn't
seem ungrammatical or nonsensical to me.

Gee, I bet you can do it with inanimate nouns as well:

"This PC is more computer than a non-gamer needs."

As usual, I think WS is full of It.

---Amy West