Looking for a good man-word

Michael H Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Thu Mar 22 00:24:10 UTC 2007

Quoting Arnold M. Zwicky

> On Mar 21, 2007, at 4:16 PM, Michael H Covarrubias wrote:
>
> > man date: a planned outing - or perhaps an edict of "man law"
>
> already on mark's list, as "man-date".  some of the others have
> hyphenated, solid, or separated versions.

Drrp! How did I miss this? I was looking for it specifically, knowing that it
was so common he must have listed it. Or perhaps I should claim that I was
intending to suggest the second meaning: "an edict of 'man law'" -- But I
wasn't.

> i see this one as "mangina" most of the time.

I've seen that too. I used the hyphen in an unnecessary attempt to split the
orthography and avoid the possible reading of the word as "mang-(g)eena" with
the velar assimilation of the nasal.

Ha. I forget who my audience is.

mhc

   English Language & Linguistics