"Capitalists wil sell us the rope..." (Lenin?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 26 20:14:17 UTC 2007

I can't find this in the Yale Book of Quotations. It's discussed right now
on Little Green Footballs. A quick check shows a 1955 citation on
NewspaperArchive.
_http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=24920_Globe_Op-Ed-_Talk_to_the_
Muslim_Brotherhood#comments_
(http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=24920_Globe_Op-Ed-_Talk_to_the_Muslim_Brotherhood#comments)
Stalin famously said, “When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the
rope we use.” (Or maybe it was _Lenin_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot) .)
(...)
COMMENTS
Actually it was Lenin who said "The Capitalists will sell us the rope with
which we will hang them."
_They Never Said It: A Book of Fake Quotes, Misquotes, and  Misleading
Attributions - Page 64_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0195064690&id=NCOEYJ0q-DUC&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&ots=hzRxXBDWHz&dq=lenin+rope+capitalists&ie=ISO-8859-1&s
ig=5EgtwveipeYXBYWXpOcuAptpcxY)
by Paul F. Boller - 1990
113  CAPITALISTS-SELL-ROPE QUOTE "The capitalists will sell us  the rope with
which
to hang them." There may be truth in the  much-quoted remark that Lenin is ...
29 March 1955, Tri City Herald (Pasco, Kennewick, Richland,  Washington), pg.
4:
_U.S. Providing Reds With Rope To Hang West_
(...)
_Lenin Sneers_
_Of Old_
_May Come True_