Ofaginzy redux

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 28 03:11:32 UTC 2007

I don't agree that the fact that "foe" is primarily a literary word
argues against the claim that "ofay" is pig-Latin for "foe," given
that "ofay" itself is likewise primarily a literary word. In everyday
speech, "ofay" and its variant, "fay," died out earlier than, e.g.
"hep."

-Wilson

On 3/27/07, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at nb.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>
> Subject:      Re: Ofaginzy redux
>
> >I'm a bit surprised by seeing "ofay" described as having "primarily
> >literary distribution."
>
> This puzzled me at first too. I think probably the intent is to say that
> "foe" is primarily a literary word (rather than a word used in casual
> speech), and that (therefore) "foe" would be an unlikely basis for a
> 'disguised' pig-Latin term. This objection to the pig-Latin etymology was
> put forth by Frederic Cassidy in 1975 in a paper which argued for a Yoruba
> etymon.
>
> -- Doug Wilson
>

> --

-----
                                                      -Sam'l Clemens

Dope wil get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no dope.
-----
                                         -Free-Wheeling Franklin