"Jigaboo Man" (1911)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Mar 29 05:20:03 UTC 2007

>No, "Jigaboo" is not a nonsense word.

I speculate that "jigaboo" as used in the 1911 song was a nonsense word.

It is easy to argue against my speculation ... IF one can show an example
of "jigaboo" (in any identifiable sense at all), from 1910 or earlier.

AFAIK "jigaboo" in a racial sense is not attested earlier than 1926.
Possibly this later usage was [partly] inspired by the nonsense usage in
this 1911 song?

Or maybe the word was identifiably race-linked in the 1911 song? I doubt
it, but I'd like a look at the lyrics, if anybody has them handy!

-- Doug Wilson