Expressions that mean duh

James C Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Fri Mar 30 01:50:13 UTC 2007

In my experience with “duh” users, “duh” can be self or other
referencing.  The examples given here seem to be other referencing to me.
“Duh” can be self referencing when someone corrects the speaker’s
misstatement or when the speaker corrects a misstatement.  For me, it is a
nicely efficient substitute for “what a dumb ass statement.”

JCS

Christina Gilleran writes:

> doy, no doy, and no duh, in addition to the standard
> duh.
> Also, theres the old, "no shit, Sherlock", " Your'e
> shitting me", and "you don't say" but with a very
> sarcastic tone.
> --- Bill Le May <blemay0 at MCHSI.COM> wrote:
>
>> ---------------------- Information from the mail
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society
>> <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Bill Le May <blemay0 at MCHSI.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: Expressions that mean duh

James C. Stalker
Department of English
Michigan State University