Fiji zigaboo

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 30 14:01:41 UTC 2007

Boozhwah? Is y'all tom 'bout dih woid that I know as based upon
"bourgeois," but which is, however, pronounced, in its assimilated
form as "boojie"? But, seriously, folks, the pronunciation of foreign,
unassimilated terms can't always be predicted with any degree of
accuracy. Y'all know dat.

-Wilson

On 3/30/07, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Fiji zigaboo
>
> Using a primitive technology available here in my office, I just listened to a phonograph record that I happen to own, titled simple "Leadbelly" (Everest Records: Archive of Folk Music FS-202), which I acquired c1970; the album is proudly said to be "electronically stereotized." Anyhow, in "The Bourgeois Blues" (the first track) Ledbetter is clearly saying "-zhwa" for the second syllable; the first sounds like [bU-] to me, but I'm not certain. Definitely non-rhotic.
>
> Legend has it that Ledbetter wrote the song after being cornered in New York City by some leftists "agitators" who endeavored to recruit the singer (echoes of Ellison's _Invisible Man_). So quite possibly Ledbetter was imitating a pronunciation not quite natural for him, an affricate-American.
>
> --Charlie

-----
                                                      -Sam'l Clemens

Dope wil get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no dope.
-----
                                         -Free-Wheeling Franklin