The new "evangelism"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 30 18:45:34 UTC 2007

April _Harper's_, p. 23f., prints an internal Microsoft document titled "Generalized Evangelism Timeline" with this note: "Microsoft internal documents define evangelism as 'the art and science of getting developers to ship products that support Microsoft's platforms."

  According the document in question, "Evangelism should avoid formal, frontal assaults, instead focusing its efforts on hit-and-run tactics. The elements of the evangelical infrastructure [are] conference presentations, books, magazine articles, white papers, etc....Working behind the scenes to orchestrate 'independent' praise of our technology is a key evangelism function. 'Independent' analysts' reports should be issued, praising your technology and damning the competitors (or ignoring them). 'Independent' consultants should write articles,  give conference presentations, moderate stacked panels on our behalf....'Independent' academic sources should be cultivated and quoted (and granted research money).  Every possible source of leverage should be sought and turned to our advantage."

  So one truly independent definition of "evangelism," in the current dispensation, is "extremely aggressive marketing, advertising, promotion, etc., of a product by means that include the carefully planned deception of target audiences."

  JL

Never miss an email again!