negative "as well"

James C Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Wed May 2 01:40:37 UTC 2007

In this particular journalistic context, might the implied putative
comparison motivate the use?  "That fact hasn't come out as well [as other
facts (that might come out; that we expect to come out, that we know will
come out)."  To me, "That fact hasn't come out either" implies two facts,
hence end of story? But it could simply be that "either" is boring and "as
well" is not.

JCS

Arnold M. Zwicky writes:

> On May 1, 2007, at 6:01 AM, Jon Lighter wrote:
>
>> "That fact hasn't come out as well [i.e., _either_] " --Gretchen
>> Carlson, _Fox & Friends_.
>>
>> I've heard this construction a number of times, though all I can
>> say about it for sure is that it's impossible for me.
>
> aren't there cites of similar examples with "too" in negative
> contexts ("I haven't seen that too")?  that would just be an
> extension of additive tags into negative contexts.
>
>> Does this sound normal to anyone ?  Do people avoid "either"
>> because of doubts about its "correct" pronunciation ?
>
> no idea.  how could we tell?
>
> arnold

James C. Stalker
Department of English