Ghetto/nigger-rig

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 2 03:47:12 UTC 2007

FWIW, I first heard heard "reggin" used as a joking replacement for
"nigger" by black college students in Los Angeles in the '50's.
"Reggin weed" I know primarily from the Urban Dictionary, though I
have heard it in the wild, upon occasion.

-Wilson

On 5/1/07, Doug Harris <cats22 at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Doug Harris <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET>
> Subject:      Re: Ghetto/nigger-rig
>
> Beyond being offensive, such terms as nigger-rig are, IMHO, more
> than a wee bit ironic, too:
> If that term is supposed to mean something has been made to "just
> barely work", it could be imagined that the fixer had, at the VERY
> least, the git-up-and-go to get (whatever) working AGAIN, even if
> not quite to designed-for standards.
> And truth be told, the person who caused (whatever) to be dysfunctional
> more'n likely was a chromatically disadvantaged person, as I am.
> --
> And I'm curious as to who uses the term 'reggin'. That sounds like a
> construction that might have been arrived at by a rapper.
> (the other) doug

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens
------
The tongue has no bones, yet it breaks bones.

                                           Rumanian proverb