Tight = drunk

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed May 2 15:32:11 UTC 2007

Larry, there's as much reason for skepticism about such "folk etiologies" of proverbs as there is for folk etymologies of words! Namely, a complete of evidence (and, in this instance, an absence of attestations from anywhere near the time of the purported reference).

In the present case, it seems to me not unlikely that the 'drunk' sense of "tight" is primary in the phrase "tight as Dick's hatband"--since "queer as Dick's hatband" and most recorded variants refer to states of abnormal mentality.

That's a promising suggestion--that "queer as Dick's hatband" might now be used with "queer" in the evolved sense, like "queer as a three-dollar bill."

--Charlie