"American Taco"?

Marc Sacks msacks at THEWORLD.COM
Wed May 2 17:14:36 UTC 2007

> It just means the popular street dish of a culture, applied to another
> culture. Early descriptions of the "falafel" called it the "Israeli hot
> dog."

When on a business trip to Warsaw, I went to a "Mexican night" buffet
dinner at the Marriott. All the food was labeled, with Polish translation.
Chorizo was defined as "Mexicanska kielbasa."

It's possible that "kielbasa" simply means "sausage" in Polish, but to the
eyes of this American (from Pittsburgh, no less!) it's definitely its own
term.

Then again, there's also the famous "American chop suey," which I never
understood because isn't all chop suey American?

Marc Sacks
msacks at theworld.com