"Pannomion"

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Wed May 2 22:10:22 UTC 2007

At the rate laws at the federal level are being ignored and abused by
public servants of one ilk or another, the word would be obsolete before
it had a chance to become familiar to more than a handful of people.
(the other) doug

---

I have previously suggested that OED3 seems to be less interested than
earlier editions of the OED in automatically including coinages of major
authors.  Today I was reading Jeremy Bentham's letter of 30 Oct. 1811 to
James Madison (one of the most arrogant letters ever written, by the way
-- in it Bentham offered to write the laws of the United States himself).
In that letter Madison uses the word _Pannomion_, referring to "a body of
Statute law."  A Google search yields 374 hits.  Why isn't a word like
this in OED?

Fred Shapiro