Early appearances of "irregardless"

Fri May 4 14:04:09 UTC 2007

Larry notes:
> Similar redundant morphology pops up with un-verbs and
>their kin:  unthaw (= thaw), unloose(n), [...]
>unshell,...

These show a different sense of "un-", which OED describes under un-,
prefix2 (4b) as "freeing or releasing from something"; but ISTM that much
the same sense appears already in paragraphs 3 (all the ME exx) and 4a
(most exx):

  3. In OE. most of the forms with un- have for their second part a simple
verb, either strong (as unbindan, unfealdan, unlúcan, etc.) or weak (as
uncnyttan, undón, un{asg}ierwan, ungyrdan, etc.). In either case the prefix
denotes a simple reversal of the action of the verb. Many of the new
formations in ME. are of the same type, as unbend, unclench, uncover,
unfasten, unhasp, unhide, unshut, etc., and additions to this class continue
to be freely made at all subsequent periods. In addition to the numerous
examples entered as main words, many others have been casually employed,
similar to those here illustrated.

4. a. A small number of OE. verbs in un- imply removal or deprivation; these
end in -ian, as unhádian to deprive of orders, unhlidian to remove the lid
from, uninse{asg}lian to unseal, unscó{asg}ian to unshoe. In ME. the type
remains rare, but occurs in unclead, unclothe, unhair. At a later date it
becomes more frequent, and is common in modern use.
 b. A modification of this sense is that of freeing or releasing from
something. This appears in ME. in unfetter, unkevel, unyoke, although in
origin these may be simply reversive. In the later period the type has also
become common, and is very largely represented from the close of the 16th
century.

And this sense appears in all of Michael Israel's examples from young
children:

(Child trying to get out of swimsuit says:)
    Child:    How do I untake this off?
    (= How do I take this off?)

Child:    Will you unopen this?
    (= Will you open this?)

(Child trying to pull sheet of stamps apart says:)
    Child:    Ho do you unbreak this?
    (= How do you break this?)

(Child holding up chain of glued paper strips says:)
    Child:    I know you take these apart. Unsplit them and put'em on.
    (= Split them and put'em on.)

 <<<<<

I seem to remember some discussion of this usage by Whorf (?). Can anyone
pin that down?

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]