Re: [ADS-L] Blue bo ok

Fri May 4 14:43:58 UTC 2007

In a message dated 5/4/07 10:10:14 AM, wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM writes:

> The second-most prevalent American sense (I'd say) of "blue book" is not
> specified in the OED either (though arguably it can be subsumed under the OED's
> general sense of the phrase): 'book listing the approximate value of used
> automobiles of the various makes, models, and years'; also used attributively
> ("blue book price," "blue book value," etc.)

I believe that this sense is a trademark. Dictionaries often omit TM senses.
NOAD, however, has a very good entry:

blue book n. 1a listing of socially prominent people. • (in full Kelley Blue
Book) trademark a reference book listing the prices of used cars. • (Blue Book
) a report issued by the government. • Brit. a report issued by Parliament or
the Privy Council.

2a blank book used for written examinations in high school and college.