Truthiness morphing

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Tue May 8 14:21:55 UTC 2007

I subscribe to several of the Woody's Office Watch family of email
newsletters, and the past few "EMAIL Essentials" ones have dealt with
spam filtering. Near the beginning of the latest one is the following:

    You and I can glance at a message and know right-away if it's
    spam or not. Computers are nowhere near as smart and probably
    never will be, all a spam filter can do is analyse a message
    and work out the likelihood that it is spam. It’s not a simple
    Yes/No but a sliding scale of (with apologies to Stephen
    Colbert) 'spaminess'.

I would have probably spelled it "spamminess" myself, but it's
interesting to see "-iness" being used actively to mean something like
"something like this noun, but not exactly like it" with an overt nod to
the Colbert Report.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida