(neither) nor

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 8 15:14:40 UTC 2007

I believe I have. It at least doesn't sound too foreign to me.

Scot LaFaive

>From: Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: (neither) nor
>Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 10:25:40 -0400

>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>
>Subject:      (neither) nor
>
>Has anyone ever heard this kind of phrase sans "neither":
>"Kent Smith nor anyone from that office was present . . . ."
>The meaning was clearly "neither KS nor anyone else ...."
>
>Beverly Flanigan

Catch suspicious messages before you open them—with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507